For my second goal, I decided to create a summary of practical classroom management strategies. The ideas present on this list include specific techniques and skills that I could see myself practicing and developing during my practicum. I was interested in making this resource for myself so that I could have an accessible document that I could reference or share with others.

Screenshot from a section of my classroom management strategies document
Refocusing activities examples

Summary of actions taken:

A hyperlinked copy of my classroom management strategies list that I have created can be viewed below:

Google Doc of Strategies

Professional Growth – Connections to BCTF Standards

Two standards that I addressed in this goal were:

•  (2) Educators act ethically and maintain the integrity, credibility, and reputation of the profession
  •  (3) Educators understand and apply knowledge of student growth and development.

Creating this resource has helped me develop a stronger understanding of the many diverse approaches for classroom management. I intentionally organized my strategies by broad categories such as general approaches and specific circumstances – e.g. working as a TTOC. As I conducted my research, I also sought to broaden my knowledge of age-specific strategies and activities that I could use, as well as create adaptations for pre-existing ones. Engaging in this process has helped me learn and apply ideas such as student growth and development as I began to consider the characteristics, interests and needs of each group of learners. Additionally, I was able to incorporate the understandings from previous courses (e.g. ED-D 420 and ED-D 301) into each of my strategies. I recognize that the application of certain classroom management strategies must be grounded in strong relationships with your students and knowing your physical and social context. Thus, documenting a a repertoire of techniques will allow me to choose from a range of options and select what will work best for that student, lesson, or overall circumstance.

By working on this goal, I have also recognized that educators must act in ethical ways that maintain the credibility and reputation of the profession. The strategies I have accumulated all seek to encourage positive behaviour as well as maintain and respect each student’s dignity. These approaches support the creation of a pro-social and welcoming classroom environment, and serve as a guideline for enacting the other BCTF standards. For example, my strategies advocate for educators to create a professional network for support (e.g. for using additional spaces for time outs or redirection), to regularly assess, update, or apply new approaches (continuous learning) and model effective and respectful communication between other staff, parents, and the greater community.